Qsymia is used with a doctor-approved exercise, behavior change, and reduced-calorie diet program to help you lose weight. It is a combination of two well-known drugs, phentermine, and topiramate. This synergistic combination is what makes this medication unique. It works by decreasing appetite and food consumption.
Qsymia should be used together with a reduced-calorie diet and increased physical activity for chronic weight management in:
- Pediatric patients aged 12 years and older with an initial BMI in the 95th percentile or greater standardized for age and sex
- Adults with an initial body mass index (BMI) of:
- 30 kg/m2 or greater (obese) or
- 27 kg/m2 or greater (overweight) in the presence of at least one weight-related medical condition such as high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, or high cholesterol
Condition of use
- It is not known if Qsymia is safe and effective when taken with other prescription, over-the-counter, or herbal weight loss products
- It is not known if Qsymia changes your risk of heart problems or stroke or of death due to heart problems or stroke
How to use qsymia
Take this medication by mouth with or without food as directed by your doctor, usually once daily in the morning. Taking this medication late in the day may cause trouble sleeping (insomnia). Swallow the capsules whole. Do not crush or chew the capsules. Doing so can release all of the drug at once, increasing the risk of side effects.
Qsymia storage and disposal process
Qsymia medication should be stored at room temperature away from light and moisture. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep all medications away from children and pets.
Do not flush Qsymia medications down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. Properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist or local waste disposal company.